Sunday, July 10, 2005

Changing tactics...?

I'm not sure it's wise to start studying now, not after managing to get through Uni without studying for two years. It's worked so far so why fix it when it's not broken?

But the project I'm facing will be tough - might as well try to get into PHP, MySQL and Apache. I could use it for websites later on so maybe it won't be so bad.
If anyone has good tips on what books to use or which websites to look into, feel free to let me know.
After studying most of the day (I know!!! What's happening to me???) I will now go and catch some zzzzzzzzzzzzs :-)
Night all!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

10:41 sounds early to me... *g*

If you are interested in writing PHP, selfhtml shpuld get you started and there's also a selfPHP. The trickiest part about PHP is that it can 'speak' HTTP protocol... something not even a server administrator usually deals with. It's easy, but PHP tutorials usually don't teach it... so in my experience it's best to analyze some PHP example code to get a 'feeling' what can be done, and how. And of course get the RFC for http protocol ;-)

As for MySQL and Apache, in don't have a clue yet... let alone administering them. If you need a training system, there are pre-configured PHO/MySQL/Apache systems around (for download or on magazine cover CD's; ct had one recently but of yourse you need a spare computer or at least some unused partitions on your hard drive for that)

July 11, 2005 10:27 AM  
Blogger Maky said...

Thanks, -mc!
I've tried getting into a pretty good book about PHP, MySQL and Apache but the PHP bit eludes me at the moment. I know MySQL - it can't be much different from Oracle and SQL Server and I work with those daily. And same goes with Apache.
But it's a good idea to go through PHP scripts to figure out what they do - sounds like the only learning method I would understand anyway ;-) Wish me luck!

July 11, 2005 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home