A new life... Chapter 2
Today's new life chapter includes Maky driving off to a far away, unknown place to buy well known furniture and ending up driving back in the middle of the night on unknown roads in the midst of a fantastic thunderstorm with road works (aka construction) for part of the journey.
All in all a very interesting experience, today was!
I sat in my first team meeting in my new job - something that was quite relaxed, easy going and very quick (understandably so since there's only four of us and our boss). After doing a bit of useless stuff on the computer I decided to take initiative and towards the end of the day I begged for something to do. I imaged a few machines and I think I can confidently say I now know what I'm doing. Sort of.
Lunch was fun as I joined some of my old support colleagues and we took the piss out of the idiot team leader we have. Sorry, HAD! Hahahahaha... I couldn't laugh loud enough in their poor faces for thank HEAVENS I got rid of that particular pest in my life (though he refuses quite adamantly to disappear completely. He sent another one of his totally unnecessary and useless emails this morning. I might have to start completely pretending like he doesn't exist and exclude him from all emails. That could be fun LOL). Anyway - it was good to catch up with the guys and girls and whilst I'm glad I'm outta support, I'm going to miss this bunch a lot. They are very cool, multicultural people and I've always enjoyed working in that kinda atmosphere. It makes it very special. Oh well, can't have it all, eh? ;-)
Whilst at work I made the decision to GO FOR IT. I would visit IKEA. Now, darling IKEA is fairly easy to find from where I work and is about 45 minutes drive away on a clear day. However, because I got away from work at 6.30pm, I arrived there for about 7.30 and only had another 2.5 hours to "browse". I stupidly thought this would not last longer than two hours so imagine my surprise when, after two hours I heard the announcement that they were closing in half an hour and could we please hurry to the exit!!! Needless to say I hadn't gotten half of what I wanted but I stocked up on a lot of stuff I had to throw/give away or sell two weeks ago!! Arrgghhh, how very, very annoying. The final bill came to 370+ dollars. Well, I do have a set of plates, cutlery and glasses as well as a lot of kitchen utensils. So it's all good.
What is not so good is that I still have to buy a bed and they're disgustingly expensive and I will have to get one shipped anyway. So I think I might be doing that some other day. What the heck, let's sleep some more on the oh so convenient airbed! LOL
As for the drive back - of course it was now about 10pm and dark outside. Thankfully, most of the big roads here are signposted so you can find them real easily but it is different from Germany and the UK in the way that you join and/or leave a highway/interstate/whatever you wanna call it. When the sudden sight of some seriously stunning lightning scared me to death I realized that not only was I driving down roads I didn't know, but it was also dark and about to rain. And to top it all off - road works! Ok let me see if I can explain this so you can understand.
So you drive down a three lane highway and you see the flashing police lights ahead of you on the right hand side (cause that's how they signal road works!). Basically what they do is they start marking the road with cones in order to make the three lanes merge into two and at the end of the cones (that means, not where they start to prepare you, but AFTER they do so) they put up a big flashing sign with an arrow pointing to the left (or right, depending). So you drive down that road and if you didn't see the police car or the flashing sign, you'd pretty quickly drive into the cones and cause a real nice accident there. Thankfully I still seemed to have had my wits about me (I don't have them now, it's nearing midnight) and I managed to "get" the whole system. And I survived the rain and the thunderstorms and the darkness and the unknown roads and now I'm dead tired and can't wait to get to bed.
Oh and just for the record, I ate a few fries and a ridiculous piece of bread with a sausage in it which they called hot dog in the cantine. Oh and some popcorn as Tuesday is popcorn day! YEY! Other than that though... NADA. At this rate I should lose the weight very quickly! LOL
Night night now - more later!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home