Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Lucky, lucky, lucky

I can't explain why, but for the past few days I've been thinking about things that I haven't really paid all that much attention to lately.
It's not really supposed to be a mushfest though I'm guessing that it will all end up sounding corny and maybe even insincere eventually. Bit really, it's not.

I've been thinking about how lucky I really am. How I am 30 years old and have never been in hospital or have never had any serious injuries or illnesses. How I have always been so incredibly lucky to live a healthy life and be able to do whatever I wanted to, whenever I wanted to do it.
It's weird... I think the ice skating triggered all of this, now that I think about it. After the fall last Sunday my mind went into overdrive and started picturing what could've happened. I could've broken something, I could've hurt something so badly it would never be alright again. I would've been in a "foreign" country, all alone, trying to deal with something like a major illness, or being in hospital for weeks on end or being at home on my own without being able to do all that much. I know, I'm a freak but you gotta think that way when you're alone. I mean really, really alone. And so I realized that I'm incredibly lucky to have fallen and not hurt myself as badly as I could've and that I just got up and skated on and felt only a little hurt in my pride and bum.
When I talk to people at work, every one of them has someone in their close family that is ill, cancer, MS, other stuff - it's insane. And I look around my family and my friends and everyone of those people that are near and dear to me are healthy and to some extent more or less happy. I don't stop nowhere near often enough in my frantic life to appreciate those things but the last few days I have and I'm kinda glad I did.
It does put everything in perspective. And whilst there's really not a trace of "religion" in me, I do thank my lucky stars or whatever's out there for keeping me safe and all the ones I love too.

See, I said it would sound like mush and it does. Frankly, I doubt there's any other way to make this point but I am open to suggestions.
One way or another, for today, and this moment, I feel unbelievably lucky! (leave it to IBM to change that first thing tomorrow morning ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home