Sunday, July 31, 2005

Losing my mind

Yes, I'm slowly but surely losing my mind.

I was suprised to realize that after three days of staying at home (and three more holidays taken for next week), I have actually spent most of those days going through the project I'm working on for my uni degree. Needless to say I started off being totally clueless, now I seem to be just a wee bit clued in but not enough to feel confident that I'll manage easily.

Either way - stumbling block number one has already arrived: Database normalization.
I know 99% of you won't even know that it exists, even less what it is. But I'm going crazy here about because I had grasped the concept of it last year (just barely, mind you) and now I can't by the life of me get back to understanding it. And what's worse is that I have spent this entire bloody Sunday trying to figure it out and I'm still at a loss. May I add, this is something that should've been done in less than 20 minutes. So, as a conclusion, I'm losing my mind.

I am going to have to find a way to normalize that stupid database (all it has is about 15 fields, for heaven's sake! How har can that be???) because if that's not done, I can't do anything else as it all build up on this!!! AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

That said - I'm seriously suprised at myself. I seem to have found some sort of discipline in me that I never knew existed. I wake up in the morning and get down to business straightaway. I wonder how long I can keep it up.
Suffice it to say, I've got the new Expansion Pack for Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 called "Soaked". If nothing else, my breaks are fun ;-)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sis,

I know how you feel. When i started off with flash, i spent three whole days doing something, that would normally take about 2 hours... very frustrating to know that the solution must be very easy but to not be able to find that solution...
hang on in there :-D the feeling after you´ve made it makes up for the stress ;-D
ally

August 01, 2005 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Keep at it!! The reward when it "clicks" and it all starts to make sence will make up for the frustration you feel now. Be honest Maky: Better focus on PHP than those SB tapes (which are close to BS tapes anyway...;)
Take care,
Kaj

August 02, 2005 8:33 PM  
Blogger Maky said...

Kaj - you make me laugh, thanks for that! :-)
As for this ever "clicking" - I doubt it will ever happen but I'll trust your faith in me ;-)

August 03, 2005 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konfuzius says: The larger the buzz word, the simpler the underlaying principle.

Read: Once you 'get it', you'll see that it is something that every sane person (with more than two braincells) would do. Only cast in a ruleset and hidden behind said buzzwords for those who need it to feel important...

FWIW, you *do* use it already. All day long. You just need to find out ;o)

August 04, 2005 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home