Wednesday, December 21, 2011

London 2012 is a GO!

After having applied to be part of the volunteer work force at the London 2012 Olympics over a year ago, I was invited for an interview in August. I left it feeling confident and optimistic about my chances. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to do this, be part of something so special again. Echoes of Expo 2000 were reverberating all around me and the chance of having that kind of an experience again was something I have been chasing for the past 11 years.

250,000 people applied to volunteer. They narrowed them down to 125,000, all of whom were invited for interviews (including ickle me!). Out of those 125,000 they only needed 70,000.
I knew it would take a while to get the results of the interviews and today I received two separate emails - both congratulating me for being offered a role as a Games Maker (their name for the volunteers) at the Olympics AND Paralympics next year!!!

Can you say BEST.CHRISTMAS.PRESENT.EVER????? :)

I will be part of the Events Team and will be located at Eton Dorney. So I won't be in the midst of it in the Olympic village in London or anything but I will be helping out at Eton, where rowing and canoeing takes place! From what I understand so far, my role could include directing people to their seats, giving out information, handing out accreditation passes, scanning tickets and many more things.

There will be training provided at some point in the next year so I will learn more when the time comes.

For now, I will bask in the glory of knowing that I will be part of the Olympic Games - and how many people can actually say that???????

I am now truly looking forward to an awesome 2012 - I've got this feeling it will be MY YEAR.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Kaj said...

Congratulations!

December 26, 2011 8:34 AM  
Blogger Maky said...

Thanks a ton! :) I'm superexcited and can't wait! This will be FUUUUUN!

December 26, 2011 10:46 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Ich freu mich sehr für dich Süße und ich hoffe, dass sich all deine Wünsche für 2012 erfüllen! :-x
UFE

January 10, 2012 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home